Thursday, November 18, 2010

sculpture art

I thought our class discussion today (Thursday) was amazing! I have rarely had such a lively and passionate class discussion. Very cool. Props to Ty for leading that.  We started off the class talking about the role of the studio. I was thinking in terms of what I've always seen it as. A cluttered place to be messy and paint. Tanaz brought up the idea that the studio is political. I have to disagree here. I understand what she was going for. I would agree more with Barbara in saying that ART is political rather than the studio. Once the art is created it can be seen however the viewer intends it to be seen. Political may be how you see that. But, inside the studio it is about the artists intent. It is about the creation of the art rather than the art itself. This is not political. If anything it is more psychological than political.

I do appreciate that she is challenging the concept of her space. This is absolutely relevant because she is a sculpture artist, and space is her medium.



Okay. I love this. "Giving value form." So perfect. I have rarely heard such an all incompassing way of describing art. I like this because if a person finds value in a leaf they find on the ground then that is art. But at the same time it could be used to describe a painting, a performance, or any other avenue of expression. It's interesting to think of this statement in contrast with its transverse. Giving Form Value. When you put it that way it puts the word value in terms of monetary value rather than personal value. These two conceptions of value must find a way to relate.



For some reason I couldnt post it along with this entry, but my visual element to this post is a preview for the film Beautiful Losers. One of the people in general caught my attention along the idea of the art world as a commmercial market. It was the asian guy who did a pepsi ad. He was talking about how instead of treating the commercial world as separate from your art world, just give the commercial world exactly what you're doing on your own! It's a great way to bridge that gap and still get paid for it. I don't think it's selling out if you stay true to what you truly love to do.

1 comment: